We just finished another fantastic week at OSCON 2014 – this was our fourth year attending and speaking at O'Reilly's Open Source Convention, and we (as usual) had an absolutely amazing time. It's rapidly becoming one of our favourite conferences.
We presented twice at OSCON this year: a session version of our How Do I Game Design? workshop, and our three-hour Android-focused mobile design tutorial (along with Chris Neugebauer, as usual).
- Squire, 2006. From Content to Context: Videogames as Designed Experience
- Schell, 2008. The Art of Game Design
- LeBlanc, Hunicke and Zubek, 2004: MDA: A Formal Approach to Game Design and Game Research
- Koster, 2004. A Theory of Fun for Game Design
- Game Definitions: gamedefinitions.com
- 8KindsOfFun – Marc LeBlanc: 8kindsoffun.com
The games we mentioned in the talk are:
The slides for our mobile design tutorial Unfortunately Design Tutorial Has Stopped ... and other ways to infuriate people with mobile apps are available now on Speaker Deck. Interesting and related links for attendees are:
- Google's Creative Vision for Android
- Google's Material Design
- Google's Company Philosophy
- Action Bar Icon Pack
Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions!